Project # SFHWY00299 / Federal # 0003259
Juneau Douglas North Crossing PEL Study
What is a PEL Study?
Planning and Environmental Linkages (PEL) is a collaborative and integrated approach to transportation decision-making that:
- Improves outreach and coordination by considering environmental, community, and economic goals early in the planning process.
- Saves costs and time; focuses expenditures on viable options.
The benefits of stronger linkages between the transportation planning and project development processes can include:
- Stronger agency and public relationships: Regulatory and resource agencies are involved early. Collaborative working relationships with the public support more involvement and opportunities.
- Improved project delivery timelines: The PEL process can avoid duplication of effort and speed up project delivery.
- Earlier identification of key environmental resources: Knowing which resources are present can help alternative selection and save time and money by moving forward alternatives that minimize impacts to environmental resources and the built environment.
- Better funding and project development: Engineering team involvement produces more reliable cost estimates and project schedules.
- Build projects with better outcomes: Knowledge of agency and community concerns help developers design projects that better serve the community’s needs.
- Flexible approach for development of transportation improvement strategies: The PEL Study can propose solutions to develop a series of smaller independent, fundable projects that can be implemented over time while fitting within a larger or longer-term context.
|To sign up for our mailing list, click here.
||To submit comments, click here.